Thursday, February 25, 2010

Next Generation

Is this a web log record for me? I've managed quite a few posts this month.

This is a continuation of the bold stroke face series. This latest group was a little less freeform and in many cases had two or three renditions before finding success. There are more on the way.











BONUS BEATS

Here are a few others that aren't constructed the same way but are still stylistically connected.



Monday, February 22, 2010

Neo(n) Color

I was feeling nostalgic a while back and did a random character sketch on black poster board with Caran d'Ache (of Switzerland!) crayons. It was totally fun. If you haven't played around with them before I highly recommend them. I did this piece with a 15 color set. I think I'll name him Bufford.

I should note that I tweaked him in Photoshop (of Adobe!) which is why he looks so electric.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Demo Pieces

Oh yeah, I have a blog! I totally forgot.

So I've been working so hard on my computer imaging course that I think I gave myself carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm not kidding. I'm actually in pain as I write this weblog entry. In any case I thought I'd share a few pieces I worked up for my in class demos.

First a digital coloring project. The point of this assignment was to color a black and white line drawing (what I use Photoshop for 99% of the time) and using layers to help unify a color pallet.

First I worked up a limited color pallet. I started with the fire and kept the cast of characters in more or less the same pallet.



Then I added a solid purple-blue color in a new layer at low opacity and used the eraser to pull back the lights. I took it a step further this week and added textures over a few elements. So...



The next one is kind of exciting. This was my demo for a digital collage assignment; I used elements of victorian monograms to create a griffin. It actually makes me want to master some of these decorative elements and try some drawings in this style. I'll have to break out my french curves. Thus...



And finally one more texture demo. For this I scanned in a crumpled piece of tinfoil, adjusted the threshold under image adjustments and tinted it blue. I erased away a few areas and I had this...



Then added in a drawing of an explorer and did a knock-out layer over the mountains in the foreground. Gimmicky but effective!



So hopefully these are not the last images I ever make. I'm going to do a Google search for pinched nerves now.

Ouch!